04 Mar Coronavirus (COVID-19) What you need to know
To help keep you informed, Elan will be closely monitoring developments related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
In the meantime, we’d like to share some information and tips to help your employees protect themselves and their families.
What is the Coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Patients with a confirmed 2019-nCoV infection have reportedly had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms including fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
What is my Insurance Coverage?
ELAN will cover diagnostic testing and supportive care according to the member’s health plan benefits. Right now, there is no specific treatment or vaccine for 2019-nCoV and diagnostic testing is only conducted at CDC labs. Currently, the CDC is the only approved to perform testing for the coronavirus with their labs or designated labs for these purposes.
Where can I get information?
We will reach out to the local CDC Office to obtain more updated information to provide our clients and members. We’ll work with and follow the guidelines and protocols issued by the CDC, as well as VI and local public health departments.
You can find more information on COVID-19 at these links:
- Visit the CDC Traveler’s Health website for travel notices and precautions at https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/novel-coronavirus-china
How can we keep it from spreading?
To help prevent person-to-person spreading, please keep the following in mind:
- Wash your hands well and often with soap and water.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve when coughing and/or sneezing.
- Avoid close contact with sick people.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.